Monday, 04 April 2011

Ready, Steady and ...... ACTION

Monday the 4th day of April 2011: 14:00, and the 'long road to freedom' has begun 
OK so I spent a whole weekend studying up everything I could find on the 'big web world' about ABVD and I was knowledgable and ready for this regimen. But Eishh (a South African word for 'oh my goodness') I was soon to be enlightened that sometimes Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum (My Motto in life: If you seek peace prepare for war) does not really pan out when you misjudged the ammunition of the other side. So our doctor has elected to go the BEACOPP route and of all the things that I have learned in life, one thing is for sure, dont argue with superior knowledge so if our doc trusts BEACOPP, then BEACOPP it will be. I have copied and pasted the basic concoction of BEACOPP however these medical terms are way beyong my understanding so if you have any questions pertaining to this regimen, please feel free to contact your nearest Oncologist.
BEACOPP regimen (… REH-jih-men)
 An abbreviation for a chemotherapy combination used to treat advanced Hodgkin lymphoma. It includes the drugs bleomycin sulfate, etoposide phosphate, doxorubicin hydrochloride (Adriamycin), cyclophosphamide, vincristine sulfate (Oncovin), procarbazine hydrochloride, and prednisone. 

So in short Day 1 is behind us and we are forging forward.
KIRSTIN'S PROGRAMME
DAY 1 - Monday: Three hours on IV line
DAY 2 - Tuesday: One and a half hours on IV line
DAY 3 - Wednesday: One and a half hours on IV line
Thursday to Sunday: Rest days
DAY 8 - Monday: One and a half hours on IV line
Then 21 Rest days
Her same programme will be repeated each month for 6 months

1 comment: